Saturday, July 19, 2008

Collars by Captain Haggerty

I was queried on which collar should be used for a Miniature Schnauzer. Good question! I am in favor on using the right equipment on an individualized basis. Of course, we are talking about breed here and not an individual dog. Breed characteristics are very much similar although not absolute. My answer? The safest collar in the world. The metal choke collar. Some will say that you do not "need" that kind of collar for the Miniature Schnauzer and they are right. You do not "need" that kind of collar and you don't even "need" to train the dog. You do want to train the dog as fast as possible. There are others out there that want to take their time training the dog. That is a viable option but not if you are a professional trainer. Dog training is a labor-intensive business and the successful trainers are the ones that get the job done faster. Owners by the way want fast results. Those that oppose choke collars because they "strangle" the dog just do not know how to use the collar properly and they SHOULD NOT use the collar. I do not feel that any trainer should use equipment that they cannot use properly or that they don't believe in. I was asked what collar I would recommend and that is my answer. - February 23, 2005

No comments: